A Temporary Solution
In my previous post, I mentioned a Secret Project. I have a lot of these going on at any one moment, and most of them are really, truly secret. This one is not actually a top-secret-secret, I’ve just been keeping it secret from a certain someone. I have more to say about the Secret Project, which I will share once a certain someone has received it, but in the meantime I thought I’d share the temporary solution to blocking a large object I devised today.
This secret project is made with superwash yarn, and so I let it soak in a little woolwash and water in the tub of my washing machine today.
Once it had had a nice bath, I ran the gentle spin cycle of my machine to get the water out. However, I find this doesn’t do a fantastically wonderful job of getting ALL of the water out of a knitted item this large. When I pulled it out of the machine it was still a fairly sopping mess. Far too wet for me to spread it out to dry, even with a sheet of plastic underneath it and a fan blowing over it. It would take DAYS to dry, and I don’t have a big enough condo to give up this much real estate for days while waiting for it to dry!
So, I came up with this solution. I’ve carefully draped it over the curtain rod of our spare bathroom, and laid towels on the floor-side of the bathtub to catch the drips. I gently tugged it into alignment as well as I could manage given the constraints, and there it will remain for at least a few hours and possibly overnight, until it has stopped dripping. I’ll change the floor-side towels once or twice as needed, and then once it has become “damp” rather than “dripping”, I’ll lay it out and block it properly to finish its drying.
I sure hope this works!